Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Daily school prayers

Because our children go to a Catholic school, they have daily prayers. While I am opposed to this in a public school setting because of sensitivity to all who attend, it is nice to have them have this time as a routine part of their days, whether or not they choose to do so in the future. They say some prayers in English and some in Spanish. The older kids say the Rosary, or sometimes just the "Hail Mary" or "The Lord's Prayer." I find a sense of joy knowing they use their time saying these every morning instead of the "Pledge of Allegience." I don't have the Spanish prayers recorded yet, but this is what Abby says with her class every morning.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit...
God made the sun
God made the three
God made the mountains
And God made me.

I thank you God for the sun,
I thank you God for the three
For making the mountains,
and for making me.

En el nombre del Padre, hijo, y el spiritu sanctus,

Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, oh my, oh my. What a wonderful way to start the day. May they carry it into the rest of their lives.......

    Do you have "Greetings and Thanks to each other as people" with you there? I feel like I saw it in a picture, or skype. It is kind of my......."rosery"

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so sweet. i'm going to print it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to start the day! I'm teaching 1.5 days each week at a Catholic school this year, and one morning that I'm there, the students all attend Mass. I've been attending too, and although much of their liturgy is foreign to me (although it's all in English:), I find it to be a really nice way to start my day! I'm learning lots about the Catholic church too, as this is a mass geared to teaching the students about the church!

    ReplyDelete